Greatist's Butternut Squash Chips!

Elise and I had such a good time teaming up to write in October (post is here!) that we wanted to do it again soon! We decided to test out a recipe from Greatist. If you aren't familiar with Greatist, it's an amazing website with tons of healthy recipes and healthy living articles. The Butternut Squash Chips recipe we chose is posted here.
Elise's Chips
 
This recipe was so easy and delicious, I made it twice in 2 days, and ate most of the batch in one sitting. After my first and second time around, I have a few pointers to talk about.
1- try to cut the chips as thinly and evenly as possible. In my first attempt, the pieces did not all cook the same. Some were more chip like, and others were just roasted.
2- Do not stack them, because they will not cooked evenly. I used 2 cookie sheets the second time and they all cooked quite the same.
3- MORE CHILI ! Not only did I put chili powder with the oil before putting them on the baking sheet, but I sprinkled at least another tablespoon (maybe 2) over the batch once they were spread out.
4- Eat whatever you have left the next day. I had a few chips left and put them in my lunch for the next day and they were still crispy and delicious.
5- I actually did not put any oil the second time.. they were still a little wet from the boiling water so the chili powder stuck.
6- They may take a little longer than the recommended 55 minutes to bake depending on the size of the chip.. so just keep an eye because some will cook way faster than others

I will be making this recipe probably once more this week and until butternut squash are no longer in season.. that's how good they were ! Now if only I could find butternut squash already cut in chip size pieces.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sarah's Chips

One thing I really liked about this recipe is that there was only 4 ingredients: butternut squash, olive oil, chili powder and sea salt. I hate when a recipe calls for all kinds of ingredients you don't keep on hand and have never heard of. This time, I only needed to pick up the squash. Everything else was already in my cupboards!

The recipe said to slice the squash 1/8 inch thick. When I make this recipe again (which I will be doing very soon because these were awesome!) I'll just worry about cutting them as thin as I can because I ended up needing to bake these for much longer than the recipe called for.



The finished product! The recipe says to cook these for 30 minutes on each side at 350F but like I said I needed to cook these quite a bit longer. These definitely are best right out of the oven when they are crispy and hot!  The chili powder gives them a little kick and I could snack on these all day long!


If you want to see other yummy things I enjoy eating, take a peak over here and over here! 

Comments

  1. These look delicious ♥♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    Wishes & Reality

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious. Going to give them a go this coming weekend. xx

    Ashleigh
    www.quintessentiallyme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how you make out! Love your blog by the way!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts