My Top Running Tips!

Running in a group or with a buddy has tons of benefits. Running with a buddy can keep you motivated, keep you accountable, and push you to keep going when all you want to do is stop and walk. My friend, Elise, and I have each been running since 2007, and we have been running together since 2010.

Between us we have countless 5k and 10k races, 7 half marathons, and one full marathon (credit for that one to Elise, not me!). So who better to ask to help me write a post on our top ten running tips!

PhotoCredit Instagram: elisepdavis


Elise: Set a goal : Whenever I need a little motivation, I try to set specific goals for my runs, either for speed or distance. When I'm logging in the kilometres, I try to do some speed work, and incorporate a few sprints in my runs, just to keep things interesting. But there are times when I have no motivation to get out the door. In those cases, I set small distance goals every week. I'll say that this week I want to get a long run, maybe a 12 or 13K in and for the other days, go at least for 30 minutes.

Sarah: Make your goals and running schedule realistic!
Once you start running, it's easy to envision yourself crossing the finish line of a marathon, looking fit and happy. In reality, getting there isn't as easy. I've made the mistake of running a race I hadn't put in enough training for, and I paid the price! After my first half marathon, I felt awful and got sick in front of a crowd of people.  ..lets just say, no one needs an audience when they are puking.
I've also made the mistake of making myself a running schedule with all kinds of early morning runs and crazy distances. In reality, I'm not going to get up and run before work more than once a week.. So why set myself up for failure?
Knowing yourself and setting a realistic plan that works with your schedule and lifestyle is much smarter!

PhotoCredit Instagram: elisepdavis

Elise: Get a tracking device: Nothing motivates me more than knowing how many calories I have burned, what my pace is and how many kilometres have done. I have a Garmin which tracks all these things (that I won!! woohoo) But would not hesitate one second to buy another one if I ever lost or broke it. I previously had the nike + and was SO motivated by reaching the different levels on the app. I only stopped using it because I won the Garmin, but I highly recommend for anyone with an Ipod nano. Using your Iphone might get annoying to carry on your runs.



PhotoCredit Instagram: sefoster8
Sarah: Keep your gear up to date!
This is a piece of advice I need to take myself! You're supposed to replace your sneakers every 300-500 miles (approx 500-800 km) and let's just I'm way, way overdue for a replacement. Keeping your sneakers up to date is a key way to prevent injuries because let's face it, there's nothing worse than feeling like you're finally in your running groove and being derailed by an injury.
Keeping your electronic running gear up to date is a great way to keep your motivation going. Running apps are always putting out updates with new ways to track your data and keep you inspired. For the longest time I was using an old iPod with the first ever version of the Nike plus app. Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods would come over the headphones to cheer you on. When I finally started using the app on my phone, all the new features of the app had me setting and crushing a bunch of new running goals!


Elise: Make an awesome playlist: I don't usually bring music on  my runs, but when I do, it's because I have discovered a few new songs and play them on repeat for the whole run.
Sarah: Kleenex and Blistex are your friends
This speaks for itself. But my nose runs like crazy and my lips get super chapped any time I run, doesn't matter what season. I like the Blistex that is in a tube instead of the little pot because it's easier to apply when on the run!

PhotoCredit Instagram: sefoster8

Elise: Buy reflective gear for those night runs: Don't assume cars or other people see you. Even as a runner, I sometimes don't see people walking or running at night, and they scare the !@$% out of me. The best thing is to be as flashy as possible. Wear a headlamp, a reflective hat, sweater, gloves, or pants... trust me, you do not look ridiculous. Last year I bought two sweaters from Lululemon's reflective collection and they have been worth every penny.

Sarah: Become a weather network junkie
It sucks stepping out for a run, and feeling awesome, and getting poured on for the majority of the time. The weather network has a function that lets you see precipitation hourly and it's usually pretty accurate! It also helps you plan what to wear for the weather conditions!


PhotoCredit Instagram: elisepdavis
Elise: Make post-Run breakfast dates: I love going out for a run with a friend and then going straight to breakfast for coffee and eggs benedict ! I think its a great way to catch up and to refuel after a good run.



Sarah: Celebrate your victories!
Whether it's treating yourself to a special treat or even just sharing your accomplishments online, you deserve it! Your hard work deserves to be acknowledged and it's important to have a little something special lined up for reaching a goal or milestone!

Comments

Popular Posts